Renewing my SSL Certificate
Renewing your SSL can be a multiple-step process depending on the type of SSL certificate you have purchased. If you’re using a Standard (DV) certificate with a domain that you own inside of your GoDaddy account, and you’ve set the certificate to auto-renew, no further action is needed on your part. Renewing your SSL certificate is completely automated. Otherwise, please read on.
When your certificate isn’t set to auto renew, you get 90 days to purchase a renewal credit and apply it to the certificate - from 60 days before to 30 days after the expiration date.
If you haven’t completed the renewal by the expiration date, your website displays an error message.
Follow these steps to manually renew your SSL certificate.
- Log in to your GoDaddy account and open your product. (Need help opening your product?)
- Do one of the following:
- If the billing for your renewal is already completed, skip to the next step.
- Click Renew to purchase a renewal credit and then click Checkout. Complete the transaction for your renewal, and then return to your list of common names.
- Select the option which you want to use for requesting your renewed certificate, and then click Request Certificate.
Any additional steps we require display on this page.
Even when you’ve set your SSL certificate to auto renew, you might still have to do some manual steps:
- When your Deluxe (OV) or Premium (EV) certificate is set to auto-renew, you must prove domain ownership, as well as other details before the certificate will issue. If so, we’ll automatically bill you for the renewal credit 60 days before the expiration date. After that you’ll find the renewal certificate pending, and you'll need to complete the domain ownership verification to move forward with the issuance process.
Standard and OV SSL certificates can be renewed for a maximum of 3 years. EV SSL certificates can be renewed for a maximum of 2 years
After your renewed SSL certificate is issued, install it on your website:
- If you selected a domain hosted with us when you requested your renewal, we automatically install your certificate.
- If you provided a CSR (certificate signing request), check your email from us for further information about installing the renewed certificate on your server. You must download and install both certificate files.