Find and replace for WordPress with a text editor
You can replace data within a database, such as the domain name, by exporting it and doing a "Find & Replace" with a text editor.
- Export your WordPress Database.
Warning: Make two exports and keep one as a backup in the event you need to restore to the original state.
- Open the .sql file in a text editor, such as NotePad++ or Sublime Text.
- Access the 'Find & Replace' feature in the text editor (usually Ctrl + F).
- Enter the domain/data you want to replace in the Find field (or respective field).
- Enter your new domain/data in Replace field (or respective field).
- Run the 'Find & Replace'.
- Save the updated .sql file.
- Before importing the .sql file, you must Import your database
- update the domain on your hosting account.
Your WordPress site will now be updated to use the new domain or data.
- If you using this process to change your domain name, then you may also need to Database find and replace.
- Return to Search & Replace plugin.
- If you are unfamiliar with using a text editor, you may want to use a cPanel .
- Back up your database. (
Plesk / Web Hosting / VPS / WP Premium Support Catalog)
- For more information about our premium support for WordPress, please visit our WP Premium Support Catalog.