Adding IP Addresses to Your Windows 2008 Server (Loopback)
We have multiple configuration methods for our servers' networking. To make sure you use the correct procedure when configuring additional IPs on your server, please see Add more IP Addresses.
Some of the information in this article is advanced material we make available as a courtesy. Please be advised that you are responsible for properly following the procedures below. Customer Support cannot assist with these topics.
When you receive additional IPs for your server, you have to configure your server and firewall to accept requests from them.
Note: We configure all of your server's IP addresses automatically whenever you reprovision your server. However, reprovisioning erases all content from your server's hard drives. For more information, see Starting over with My Server (Reprovision)
We automatically configure additional IP addresses for Virtual Private Servers (VPS) — do not complete these steps.
To Add IP Addresses to Your Windows 2008 Server
- Access your server via Remote Desktop.
- From the Start menu, select Network.
- In the upper-left, double-click Network and Sharing Center.
- On the left, click Change Adapter Settings.
- Note your local area connection name for a future command. It resembles Local Area Connection [X].
- Right-click Loopback, and then select Enable.
- Right-click Loopback again, and then select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
- Select Use the following IP address, complete the following fields, and then click OK:
- IP Address — Enter your server's new IP address.
- Subnet Mask — Type
- From the Start menu, right-click Command Prompt, and then select Run as administrator.
- Run the following commands at Command Prompt:
netsh.exeinterface ipv4 set interface "[local area connection name]" forwarding=enabledWhere
[local area connection name]is the local connection area name you noted from the Network Connections window. For example "Local Area Connection 5."interface ipv4 set interface "loopback" forwarding=enabledexit