Add a featured image to my post or page in WordPress
In WordPress, a featured image will appear next to your post or page wherever it is displayed. For example, it acts as a thumbnail and shows up on social media when you share your post or page. Also, if supported by your theme, it appears next to your post on the main blog page. An attractive featured image can grab readers' attention and increase the number of visits that a post or page gets.
- Sign in to WordPress.
- On the left-side menu, select Posts or Pages.
- Find the post or page you want to edit and select its title.
- On the right-side menu, at the top, make sure that the Post or Page option is selected. Scroll down and select Featured image and then Set featured image.
Note: If you don’t see the right-side menu, in the top-right corner, select Settings to expand the menu.
- In the new pop-up window, you can choose to upload an image from your computer or mobile device or set the image from your WordPress library.
- To upload files from your computer or mobile device, from the top menu, select Upload files and then Select files. Find the image you want to use and then select Open.
- To use an image from your WordPress media library, from the top menu, select Media Library. Select the image you want to use and then Set featured image.
Note: If your site is on our Managed WordPress hosting, you can use free stock images directly from your WordPress dashboard. To set a stock image as a featured image, from the top menu, select Stock Photos and select the image you want to use. Select Import and then Set featured image.
- (Optional) Enter values for Alt Text (alternative text that improves your site’s accessibility), Title, Caption, and Description to the corresponding fields.
- Select Update to apply the change.
The featured image is now added to your WordPress post or page.