About .so Domains
Nic.so is the sponsor and Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .so extension that represents Republic of Somalia.
Who can register .so domains?
Important Note: Due to registry complications, effective June 6, 2015, GoDaddy is no longer accepting registrations or incoming transfers for the .so extentions. If you already owned a .so domain with GoDaddy prior to June 6, 2015, you can continue to renew your existing .so domain name. Renewals will be limited to a 1 year term only.
When registering a .so domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 Characters (.so, com.so, net.so), 2 - 63 Characters (org.so)
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters or consecutive)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: Not supported
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Your .so, .com.so, .net.so, and .org.so domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted 14 days prior to the domain name's expiration. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 7 days prior to expiration. If the second attempt fails, we try one more time on the expiration date.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew by the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .so, .com.so, .net.so, and .org.so domain name expires on January 31. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by January 31. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on January 17, January 24, and January 31.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Not supported
- Must use: 1 - 63 (org.so only)
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Supported
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- Transfers between accounts may take up to 5 days to complete.
- Basic privacy protection: Supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not Supported
- CashParking: Supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 2-13 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms, and then Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .so domain.