About .co.za Domains
Registry.net.za is the sponsor and Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .co.za extensions that represent Republic of South Africa.
Who can register .co.za domains?
Anyone can register .co.za domain names.
When registering a .co.za domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 1-63 characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special characters (e.g., & and #)
- IDNs: Supported
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Your .co.za domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted 21 days prior to the domain name's expiration. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 14 days prior to expiration. If the second attempt fails, we try one more time 7 days prior to the expiration date.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it 7 days prior to the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .co.za domain name expires on October 1. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by September 24. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on September 10, September 17, and September 24
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- The transfer-in process is unique to .co.za domains and does not include a free one-year extension.
- An authorization code may be needed if you are transferring away from Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH, or one their partners. Otherwise the authorization code is not required and this field can be left blank to further authorize the transfer from your account.
- Once the transfer is authorized in your account it will trigger an e-mail voting procedure. An e-mail will be sent from the registry (ZADNA) to each Whois contact (Owner, Admin, Tech, and Billing). At least one party has to APPROVE for a successful transfer. The transfer will fail if at least one party denies the transfer, and if there are NO votes received (APPROVE or DENY), the domain will not be transferred. If a party doesn't vote, the vote will be disregarded.
- If the transfer is not accepted in 5 days, the .CO.ZA transfer will fail.
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Not supported
- The transfer-away process is unique for .co.za. The domain does not need to be unlocked, and authorization code is not needed to transfer, unless you are transferring to Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH, or one of their partner's a user transfer authorization code is needed. Contact our GoDaddy Guides for help if you need the transfer auth code.
- For non-Hexonet partner transfers, you must first request the transfer with the new registrar, which will trigger an e-mail voting procedure. An e-mail will be sent from the registry (ZADNA) to each Whois contact (Owner, Admin, Tech, and Billing). At least one party has to APPROVE for a successful transfer. The transfer will fail if at least one party denies the transfer, and if there are NO votes received (APPROVE or DENY), the domain will not be transferred. If a party doesn't vote, the vote will be disregarded.
- If the transfer is not accepted in 5 days, the .co.za transfer will fail.
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Not supported
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not Supported
- CashParking: Not supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- After completing a contact update, the domain will be locked for up to 7 days while the update processes at the registry.
- Must use: 0-5 Nameservers, Authoritative Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4, IPv6
- Cannot use: DNSSEC, custom hostnames
- Nameserver updates take up to 7 days. During this time the domain will remain locked and no other changes may be made.
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms, and then Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
To cancel your .co.za domain, contact our GoDaddy Guides for assistance.