cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Move hosting now email is forwarding or crashing

Previously I was primary domain eMail but a while ago I was moved to cPanel and
email began having nuisance issues.

Now I am seeing major spam received and turned on SpamAssasin.

My own email is included in sender header.
Is this fixable or a sign of the times ?

Also the new website had "NEW" in domain for a while but now removed
but some configurations forward or crash as a result.
Email accounts forwards and disk uses crashes with "new" expected in mail directory names.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Move hosting now email is forwarding or crashing

I am not a fan of cPanel email and do not recommend it to clients as a first option @CoolGames. cPanel email tends to be a bit SPAM heavy but I don't have to tell you that. I find that products like GoDaddy Professional Email are loads easier to deal with. For me the cost of good products are recouped with the quality and time savings. 

Check out the threads cPanel email problems and Webmail not working for cpanel email as there is a lot of discussion about this very issue in. You might be able to get a great deal of information? At the very least you won't feel alone. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

In my email

"Did it solve your problem?"

ANSWER: No , thanks for asking...

This answer is not solving my issue but saying don't use cPanel.
First link: This site can’t be reachedwebsite%20builder%20ola’s server IP address could not be found.
Second Link: My webmail (webmail.domain.com or domain.com/webmail) is not working anymore.
Not my problem as stated in my original message webmail works but disk usage doesn't

I am not sure it is cPanel but something in the installed configuration that didn't fix all the moves.
I have no access to fix these issue.

I get a message that the email entry changed somehow...
/mail/pops/index.html
has moved to
/email_accounts/index.html#/list

Then disk usage fails as well with current config
/mail/manage_disk_usage/

Failed to lookup mailbox status: Mailbox doesn't exist: ...
at cpanel.pl line 1078

Highlighted

Answer:
@rd 
Not switching to Microsoft Office 365 email on Linux host and clients for $60 on website that has working alternative although with issues that can be fixed with having access to cause of issue.

Nailed it, though !
Just pay Micro$oft to make anti-spam work on Open Source hosting and start losing valid emails as well then require fee to investigate fix ! 
...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Solution

Thanks Go Daddy technical support.
I first selected email support and was directed to shared hosting for cPanel email.
The tech explained cPanel does not recommend cPanel email for general eMail and
if used should have SSL enabled to minimize SPAM harvesting of addresses.

I thought it through and opted out of choosing Office360 and SSL and
found GLOBAL SPAM FILTER set to 1.9 with auto delete also set to 1.9

would delete SPAM automatically.

Occasionally I do this in Global SPAM Filters
Success: Spam Auto-Delete has been disabled.

X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=2.8
X-Spam-Score: 28
X-Spam-Bar: ++
X-Spam-Report: Spam detection software, running on the system 

For a while I watch the ***SPAM*** appear and VIEW SOURCE in the (horde)
message view with sender showing (triangle by subject) and found in MORE OPTIONS.
I can see in above example the X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=2.8 which is 1.9+

Risk is that some valid email could be auto-deleted but I know who can be trusted and
added them MANUALLY to WHITELIST in cPanel eMail Filters rules using STOP Processing rules.
Last step is re-enable the auto-delete in GLOBAL Spam Filters with some confidence.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Support sounds like they came through one again. Happy that you have that resolved @CoolGames and thank you for coming back and letting others know what the fix was. I am sure that you aren't the only one with an issue such as this. Thank you and happy emailing!