cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

504 Timeout - Ultimate Linux Hosting with cPanel

Ultimate Linux Hosting with cPanel

I have a PHP based site that has been running OK for almost 2 years, no changes. In the last month it has been getting slower and slower, especially on the back end admin section. Now I cannot connect to pages in the admin section at all and get a 504 Timeout Error

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

GoDaddy could not help at all, I'm about to post on social media for help, but thought I'd try the forum first.

4 REPLIES 4

I am also having this issue. I hope someone can please help.

@Videoteks wrote:

Ultimate Linux Hosting with cPanel

I have a PHP based site that has been running OK for almost 2 years, no changes. In the last month it has been getting slower and slower, especially on the back end admin section. Now I cannot connect to pages in the admin section at all and get a 504 Timeout Error

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

GoDaddy could not help at all, I'm about to post on social media for help, but thought I'd try the forum first.

No help from GoDaddy, they blame coding, which is not accurate, I loaded a backup on another host servers, and the site works perfectly, and fast. The other thing is that sometimes it works on GoDaddy, and sometimes it doesn't??? So to me that means there is something going on with the server or the resources being used with the shared hosting.

Hi @Videoteks@Micheal9059. Sorry to hear you're both having issues. 504 errors generally indicate an issue where one service isn't talking to another. This could be an indication that there is an issue on the hosting account. However, it could just as easily be related to how the website is constructed. For instance, if the site produces a PHP process that pulls information from a database at the same time a child process is also trying to get information from the database, the process could time out and generate a 504 error. The root cause would then be how the script is set up, not necessarily how the server responds. In the same situation, if moving to a new host alleviates the error, it might be that their configuration for the timeout is more lenient and therefore the timeout doesn't occur. 

@Videoteks It's unusual that you weren't seeing this issue before and now it has suddenly come up. However, if our hosting team has reviewed the situation already, then it might be time to take a closer look at how your site's scripting is set up. Hope that helps some. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Your response is appreciated although, it isn't particularly helpful. The site has been up and running for 2 years without issue, no changes to the site or scripting. Now timeout issues ??? On any given day site working perfectly followed by 48 hours of timeout issues followed by 12 hours of working, then more issues and so on. That's not a scripting issue.

Anyway I have found the solution, move to another host.