• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Photos on blogs not appearing properly on Facebook

Hi everyone

I post a fair bit on FB using URLs of the posts that I put up on my GoDaddy site. The feature pics I use meet, as far as I can tell, all the requirements for Facebook but I am having problems in those pics appearing properly when they appear on FB.  

So for example, my posts will have 1200x630px pics but instead of appearing as a main pic on the FB post, they appear around one sixth of their size to the left of text for the post.  On the odd occasion they will appear properly but not usually so I need to then add the photo (full size) but most of the time it is the problem I have described.  I am not sure if the problem is to do with the browser used, that there are attributes with the URL string or whatever.

Do you know what the problem is?   See below to see what I am referring to:

FB problem.png

Thanks - Neil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Community Manager

Hi @NatShooting. Thanks for posting. Facebook can be a bit troublesome at times, especially with images. I've seen this with lots of posts, not just the ones from the GoDaddy blog platform. What you can do is go to https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/, enter the URL for your blog post, and then click debug. This will show you a bunch of information about the page, but what you want to look for is how the image for the post displays a little bit further down the screen. If it previews like your screenshot, click the "Scrape again" button. This forces Facebook to update its cache. Usually you'll get the right image size after that but once in a while you might have to scrape the URL 2 or 3 times. This should update all places you've shared the image on Facebook previously as well. Hope that helps! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    Employee

Hello @NatShooting :

I've noticed some goofy resizing of my personal images on Facebook too.  I looked up a couple of help articles related to this issue, and a few do point to the browser as the culprit and Facebook help had a recommendation to keep each photo under 15mb.  As for the browser, try Firefox or Chrome, and clear out history or use private window.  Hope this helps! 

Sales and Support available 24/7 via phone or chat
    Community Manager

Hi @NatShooting. Thanks for posting. Facebook can be a bit troublesome at times, especially with images. I've seen this with lots of posts, not just the ones from the GoDaddy blog platform. What you can do is go to https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/, enter the URL for your blog post, and then click debug. This will show you a bunch of information about the page, but what you want to look for is how the image for the post displays a little bit further down the screen. If it previews like your screenshot, click the "Scrape again" button. This forces Facebook to update its cache. Usually you'll get the right image size after that but once in a while you might have to scrape the URL 2 or 3 times. This should update all places you've shared the image on Facebook previously as well. Hope that helps! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Hey - this worked!  Many thanks for that. greatly appreciated.