cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to log in - support wants me to pay extra

Tonight my username and password suddenly stopped existing. The rep keeps telling me it must be a plugin. Why would a plugin delete my username and email address? I think they are doing it on purpose so I have to pay $50 to get it fixed. I'm the only user! I've been a customer for years. I can't afford this! I am extremely dissatisfied!! They are lying to me! I have been writing in this blog everyday for over a year! I just want to log into the website I pay you every month for! 

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Unable to log in - support wants me to pay extra

Hey there @blackbettyblog,

While unusual, I have seen plugins and themes that are poorly coded erase entire parts of a WordPress installation. 

Instead of logging in directly to the wp-admin page, have you logged in via the hosting interface? Have you checked in the user table in the database to make sure the information is correct for your user? It's also entirely possible that you have some sort of malware on the site.

If you can supply the URL, I can give it a cursory look. I won't be able to do much more than that as I don't have access to your hosting package in particular, but I'm happy to look and see if I can at least determine if it's malware related.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I can't login through the host. I don't know what a user table is. They said they fixed it but when I went back every single blog I have written in the past year was deleted. So I called again and I had to pay $50 to have them bring them back. But what if they can't? I feel like I'm going to cry. I'm stressed out. My stomach hurts. All my blogs are gone. 

Super User III
Super User III

@blackbettyblog, did the issue get resolved?

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I haven't heard from anyone yet.

Solution

Unfortunately no one in customer service was able to help me. Someone actually told me that they had no way of knowing what caused the server to crash or the database to be deleted, and that if I want to know what happened I have to hire my own developer and back up the site by myself. Although my blog posts were recovered, now the categories are all deleted and the menu is different.

This is utterly ridiculous. No one knows what is going on in their own company. The just want to up sell. So I have just initiated a domain transfer to HostGator. That resolves the issue.

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Hey there @blackbettyblog,

I'm sorry to hear there were issues getting back your information. This is why standard practice is to always keep 3 different backups of your website: one on the server, one in the cloud, and a local backup you maintain on your computer. This is an industry standard recommended by ALL hosting companies.

While I understand the desire to transfer to a different hosting company, I will warn you that the answers to your queries will be met with similar answers if you have an issue, not to mention the burden of paying for new hosting and then migrating the sites properly. From personal experience, I've been on HostGator and if you think your tech support is bad now, just wait until you have an issue there.

I understand the frustration, as I said. I've been doing this over a decade now. I've had losses like your many times, even with taking precautions. It's the nature of the beast. No matter what hosting company you're with, you will face the same issues. That being said, there is no other hosting company that has 24/7 phone and chat support that responds as quickly as GoDaddy. There's a reason they're number one in hosting and domains worldwide.

I wish you'd had a better experience but a lot of this sounds like you just didn't understand what normal best practices for operating a website entailed. Good luck at the new hosting company. I have a feeling you're going to be frustrated much more with them. That being said, GoDaddy will always welcome you back.

Re: Female Entrepreneurs FTW email

Don't try to act like you support female entrepreneurs. Your incompetent customer service team tries to up sell me every time I call because they think I'm to dumb to know what they're doing.