cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to install plugins or new themes

I have a wordpress site up and running but have been unable to install any plugins or install a new theme.

When I try installing themes I always get update failed and 

When I try installing a plugin it fails with this message - Installation failed: 500 Internal Server Error <!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--> Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Hope I'm just missing something simple and easy to fix - thanks in advance for any help 🙂

37 REPLIES 37
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Unable to install plugins or new themes

Is this a browser specific issue @chaz1819 or is this happening with any browser you choose? Are there specific packages that you can't upload properly or is this happening with everything?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Hi Roy, seems to be with all plug ins and best I can do with a theme upload is partial.  Tried different browsers but no luck 😞

Super User I

Are you using the Managed WordPress option from GoDaddy @chaz1819. I assume that your internet connection is sound and it doesn't take an extraordinary amount of time to upload your files? Have you tried unzipping the packages and uploading them via FTP like using FileZilla: FTP settings to upload your website? Perhaps calling or chatting with support might be worthwhile? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Thanks for the help Roy, things seem to work well with themes and plug-ins if I download off wp and then upload through file manager.

New

Every time I try to install one, I get an 500 Internal Server Error. I managed to get a few installed by changing the PHP version, then changing the .htaccess to .htaccess_old, but overall, it's still not working. I'm running a single Wordpress site on Plesk via GoDaddy.

I'm not really a tech person, so this is beyond frustrating for me. I've tried a lot of the solutions online but no dice. I really appreciate any help y'all can give me.

New

Hi,

I would like to follow one tutorial in youtube and purchase these theme for 59 USD but unfortunately i cannot install it I email the website where i purchase it, they said i should request to the domain provider to allowed this theme to be install on my wordpress, Can you help me guys maybe you experience same problem, and do you know how can I contact godaddy im basing Dubai UAE, do they have email?..

Thank you

Hi, I have installed an "Easy Table" plugin from godaddy wordpress plugin list and activated it. But I am not able to see the plug in on the pagebuilder "Add Content" option. Can someone pls help.

New

Hi,

I have a Managed Wordpress site under construction that I need to install CiviCRM. I was able to upload the plugin file and start the setup process. However, I got stuck in the first step because CiviCRM needs the MySQL  Database Settings to connect (MySQL server, username, password).

I couldn't find this information in my account setting page. Is there a way to get this information?

Thanks,

Kenedy

New

Every site was getting a php error at some point the other day and now the option for adding plugins in the admin cp dissapeared. What's going on?

I purchased a domain and managed WordPress through godaddy today.  I have a few issues.

1. The WordPress admin page only allows me to view themes and manipulate the site's appearance.

I have used WordPress before and know that there are more options.

2. I cannot add plugins. GoDaddy's troubleshooting guide takes me back to its WP admin page which only has themes.

3. I cannot login to my site via wordpress.org.

I though using Godaddy for both my domain and WordPress hosting would be seamless but it appears to be limiting compared to what I can do on WordPress directly.

I upgraded, paid for migration but my site is down. I installed WP into the new business hosting account but the theme will not appear. I believe the version of WP I paid to migrate is below their current WP App choices.

Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Lisa aka HypoGal 

New

the wordpress start wizard is not allowing me to use theme and proceed furthure

New

hi

I have a problem with upload limit using third party theme, godaddy is not helpful, i need to increase the file upload limit. please help

I was having the same problem. I just now went into my GoDaddy account to the Control Panel. There is an option there to Manage Plugins, Manage Themes. I was able to use that tool to upload my plugins without any problems. 

Can you please update WordPress because certain themes are creating a Parse Error.  You have to go into "file manager" and delete the theme to even operate WordPress.  I was told the host needs to update WordPress on the database side...currently running outdated 5.5 Thank you.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/content/t/e/r/terry27/html/test/wp-content/themes/aza-lite/inc/customizer.php on line 221

I have an older site on my Managed WordPress account, which doesn't have Page Builder. I have tried adding Page Builder via SFTP, but I get the below errors and it doesn't work correctly to re-build the home page. The URL I am working with is postoncollective.com.

How can I add Page Builder to this site correctly?

Warning: Missing argument 2 for wp_register_script(), called in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas09_data01/42/2494442/html/wp-content/plugins/button-maker/buttons.php on line 124 and defined in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas09_data01/42/2494442/html/wp-includes/functions.wp-scripts.php on line 145

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/p3pnexwpnas09_data01/42/2494442/html/wp-includes/functions.wp-scripts.php:145) in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas09_data01/42/2494442/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1179

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/p3pnexwpnas09_data01/42/2494442/html/wp-includes/functions.wp-scripts.php:145) in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas09_data01/42/2494442/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1179

Hi,

I'm new to this. I was wondering if there is a way to upload a plug in to my web site?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Pam

Super User II
Super User II

@jrotcportraits wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this. I was wondering if there is a way to upload a plug in to my web site?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Pam

@jrotcportraits Is your website Wordpress?

--

Hi all,

I've just installed wordpress for my domain, and time I go to upload a theme to the backend, it uploads the theme to 100% and then returns - "HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error", every time.   I've tried increasing memory via .htaccess and PHP ini file, but it doesn't appear to help.  Any insight would be helpful.  Thanks!

New

So this has been pretty frustrating and I can't figure out if it's an error with the hosting/servers or issue with Wordpress..but basically I can't do anything with plugins, because if I do, I get a long error message at the top of my page - or worse, the whole site goes down and I can't log into Wordpress at all.

I have various plugins that need updating at the moment and I can't do them because my whole site will crash. I even tried to delete a plugin this morning and got the error message at the top of my site.

If I go into my GoDaddy dashboard and do a back up for a previous day this fixes it sometimes, but othertimes it hasn't and I had to get a friend to go into the FTP and delete the plugins.

I really need to know what the problem is and how to avoid it though. Do I need to switch hosting companies? I have a basic plan right now, is it not capable of unzipping and doing the proper steps when a plugin is updated? 

Please help if you can. Thanks!

Highlighted
Solution

Hi All. If anyone is having trouble installing plugins/themes or updating installed plugins, there's a few steps you can try.

If after trying these, you are still encountering errors, you may want to call Support so they can review your hosting plan and the specific errors you are receiving.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

,Re: Unable to install plugins or new themes

Hi

I have fixed my issue by including .htaccess file which was not there and rename web.config file. all run smoothly. Problem is in your customer service. I have struggled with them, because their only sentence was "Plesk is not support for wordpress", Lol what a technical answer!!!

do you still fine problem if update directly from word press admin panel?

Helper I

Re: ,Re: Unable to install plugins or new themes

Can you please provide specific instructions to resolve this issue?  Thank you.

Helper I

Re: ,Re: Unable to install plugins or new themes

Do you have the solution that so many are desperately waiting for?  

I had the same issue (by using the default install from WP). I fixed it by uploading the plugins manually.

@chaz1819 wrote:

I have a wordpress site up and running but have been unable to install any plugins or install a new theme.

When I try installing themes I always get update failed and 

When I try installing a plugin it fails with this message - Installation failed: 500 Internal Server Error <!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--> Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Hope I'm just missing something simple and easy to fix - thanks in advance for any help 🙂

I had the same issue when I used the default install from WP. I managed to upload and enable them just fine when I chose to upload them manually.

Helper I

I too am having the same issue with the 500 server error, in addition to "update failed."  I tried manually and was getting the same issue.  However, I somehow managed to install one plugin successfully.  Seems to me that the developers at GoDaddy have some work to do but it doesn't seem like anyone is going to do it.  That is the impression I'm getting.  I've noticed in the comments that the tone sounds a lot like "it's the user's mistake" and they just flat out refuse to escalate issues.  I'll go through the chain of command if I have to.  

I have exact same problem!!!!

For me it doesn't work anything. I tried reinstaling everything. Same error over and over. Cant do anything on my sites. PLease help!

On that htaccess file i cant find, i cant see it or find option to view invisible files...

Hi,

i have installed wordpress perfectly and all the builtin themes working fine but when i try to install any new theme it displayed an internal server error

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

"

error occurred in error log "#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 8.5 
#Version: 1.0 
#Date: 2018-01-10 00:46:29 
#Fields: date time s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port cs-username c-ip cs-version cs(User-Agent) cs(Cookie) cs(Referer) cs-host sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-bytes time-taken 
2018-01-10 00:46:29 W3SVC1167 SG2NWVPWEB047 182.50.151.82 GET / - 80 - 13.56.229.65 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(Macintosh;+Intel+Mac+OS+X+10_12_6)+AppleWebKit/537.36+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/61.0.3163.100+Safari/537.36 - - "

Please help me

Hi,

Just now I managed to install my custom theme on godaddy while searching for answers and not getting any satisfactory answer.

what I did is ->

1.  go to File Manager

2.  Go to wordpress installation folder (can be root folder of your site or subdomain. in my case it was -> www.example.com/wordpress

3. Go to wp-content

4. then go to themes

5. here upload you theme zip file

6. select the zip file (checkbox) and click on More -> extract files

7.  Now you'll have your theme listed under wordpress themes in dashboard

I have been trying to install a plugin in my WordPress website in Godaddy, but from the manage site dashboard, there is no option for a plugin. I don't understand why this is so? 

I also tried to add my website www.meetlancer.org, it is showing the website is not WordPress? But, I built a WordPress website in Godaddy. 

Can someone explain and help me with this?

Super User I

@Palinco I'm worried that buried inside of this thread your query will not be widely seen. My suggestion is that you start a new post in order to get greater visibility. 

Thanks.

New

I have exact same problem. Anyone got solution?

When I try and install plug-ins in my wordpress site I keep getting

Installation failed: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> 500 - Internal server error. <!-- body{margin:0;font-size:.7em;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background:#EEEEEE;} fieldset{padding:0 15px 10px 15px;} h1{font-size:2.4em;margin:0;color:#FFF;} h2{font-size:1.7em;margin:0;color:#CC0000;} h3{font-size:1.2em;margin:10px 0 0 0;color:#000000;} #header{width:96%;margin:0 0 0 0;padding:6px 2% 6px 2%;font-family:"trebuchet MS", Verdana, sans-serif;color:#FFF; background-color:#555555;} #content{margin:0 0 0 2%;position:relative;} .content-container{background:#FFF;width:96%;margin-top:8px;padding:10px;position:relative;} --> Server Error 500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

How Do I Fix It?