cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Taking down one site and putting up another in it's place, using same domain name -- how?

I have recently had some corruption in my Wordpress website that, I believe, it's time to take it down and put up another in it's place.  Additionally, I was told about a month ago that I needed to upgrade my "plan" in order to upgrade my Wordpress site.  I asked the person to explain that to me but she couldn't, or I was perhaps too stupid to understand. 

Nevertheless, now I have messed with it enough I figure I need to destroy the old website and replace it with a new site.  Can you point me in the direction of how to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Taking down one site and putting up another in it's place, using same domain name -- how?

@drgary 

I may be able to help answer some of these questions.

First, moving your site to a new server:

• You want to leave the live site live, of course
  • On your new server, use a subdomain of your site's primary domain to get started, i.e. new.yourdomain.com, test.yourdomain.com
  • Get everything migrated over to the new server under that subdomain, test it and make sure it still works.
  • Remove the primary domain from the old hosting by changing it to another subdomain, i.e. old.yourdomain.com
  • Change the primary domain on your new server, make sure connection strings and permalinks are updated, and you're good to go

What "plan" do you need to upgrade to?

My guess is that you were on the older Web Hosting that GoDaddy offers. It only goes up to PHP 5.6. You need to get on Linux cPanel. I would suggest getting the same level of hosting you had before as they are comparable. (So, if you were on Deluxe, you'd be fine with the equivalent Deluxe package with Linux cPanel.) However, you will have PHP up to version 7.2 (much more secure) and you'll have a much newer platform with updated software and hardware to use.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Taking down one site and putting up another in it's place, using same domain name -- how?

Without specifics provided, perhaps this may be informative?
https://www.wpcrafter.com/11-wordpress-problems-solved-step-by-step/
Highlighted
New

Thanks @CWWNetwork. That certainly covered a number of the problems I've been having.

Since I have you, let me ask you about what to do: This all started with a
notice saying I needed to update my WP, but first update my PHP. When I
called support the woman I spoke with said I needed to upgrade my "plan".
She didn't give me a clue as to what "plan" I needed to upgrade.

Anyway, I took matters into my own hand - which led me down the road to
perdition.

Do you have any idea what "plan" I needed upgrading? Apparently whatever it
was would not allow me to update my PHP and consequently my WP update.

Gary

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@drgary 

I may be able to help answer some of these questions.

First, moving your site to a new server:

• You want to leave the live site live, of course
  • On your new server, use a subdomain of your site's primary domain to get started, i.e. new.yourdomain.com, test.yourdomain.com
  • Get everything migrated over to the new server under that subdomain, test it and make sure it still works.
  • Remove the primary domain from the old hosting by changing it to another subdomain, i.e. old.yourdomain.com
  • Change the primary domain on your new server, make sure connection strings and permalinks are updated, and you're good to go

What "plan" do you need to upgrade to?

My guess is that you were on the older Web Hosting that GoDaddy offers. It only goes up to PHP 5.6. You need to get on Linux cPanel. I would suggest getting the same level of hosting you had before as they are comparable. (So, if you were on Deluxe, you'd be fine with the equivalent Deluxe package with Linux cPanel.) However, you will have PHP up to version 7.2 (much more secure) and you'll have a much newer platform with updated software and hardware to use.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post