cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Session has expired after login to WordPress few seconds

My front end website running as normal, but the problem is when I login to back end, it request a username and password every 4 or 5 sec.
it shown "Your session has expired. Please log in to continue where you left off."

Best regard.

59 REPLIES 59
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Session has expired after login to WordPress few seconds

Hello @LastMan

A simple fix for this login issue is to make sure that you have the same URL in your Site Address and WordPress Address fields in your WordPress settings. This means that you need to choose either www or a non-www URL in the both fields.

Login to your WordPress dashboard and go to Settings » General.

INCORRECT http://i.imgur.com/ERxjVcA.png

CORRECT http://i.imgur.com/rvrp8JO.png

If you can’t access the admin area, then you can update these fields by editing the wp-config.php file.

Connect to your website using FileManager from cPanel or an FTP client, and locate the wp-config.php file in your site’s root directory.

You need to download this file to your Desktop and open it in a text editor like Notepad.

Add this code just above the line "That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging".

define('WP_HOME','http://example.com');
define('WP_SITEURL','http://example.com');

If you prefer to use www in URL, then use this code instead

define('WP_HOME','http://www.example.com');
define('WP_SITEURL','http://www.example.com');

Don’t forget to replace example.com with your own domain name.

🙂

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.

Thanks for your reply.

I try to follow this step few hours ago, but nothing change.
I am using WordPress site by Godaddy, so it already correct as in your picture.

Best regard.

I'm having the same problem.

Wordpress keeps logging me out

I can't do anything with my WordPress site because I keep getting logged out. This is frustrating! How do I fix this?

2017 PHP Upgrade Causes Authentication and Login Redirect Errors

I have a WordPress site. On January 7, GoDaddy upgraded to the latest version of PHP. This caused an authentication problem and login issue when accessing the WP Admin panel. I was asked to continually log in to the WP Admin panel, got error messages about "session expired," and was unable to access my website through Filezilla ("Authentication Failed" errors). A smart customer service woman with GoDaddy figured out that the problem was with object-cache.php, which sits in the wp-content folder. She edited the php file, reentered my user name and password and now my site is OK.

Re: Wordpress keeps logging me out

I'm having this same problem. Everytime I log in I get logged out of my website. Someone help us out please.

Edit :

Rang GoDaddy hosting support and they ran a quick debug on my site and found some errors which they fixed. They said it may have been caused by a recent wordpress version not agreeing with a plugin or a recent plugin update. Give them a ring and they'll work through some possible causes. 🙂

Original problem:

Same problem for me too. Glad to see im not the only one. i've been panicing the past two days. Possibly an update godaddy has released has broke something? I assume they will fix it as we cannot be the only ones experiencing this infuriating issue. I can only stay logged in for about 30 second!

Having the same issue. Started Saturday, rang them up and they said they need to update something, which fixed it. 

Didn't log into site yesterday - tried to get into site today and it's doing it again. Currently on phone (on hold for last 10mins) trying to get it sorted. 

New

And me.

WP had me change my Password almost a dozen times and it STILL keeps logging me out.

And to top it all, I was led to believe that one would receive QUICK assistance from them according to their fancy advertising.  I've been battling for days to talk to them but their Chat Line seems to be offline almost permanently. 

As the new kid on the block is this the fabulous 'service' I have to get used to?

New

Same issue here. I can go to the dashboard through WP admin, but can't do any updates from yesterday. When I try to do whatever in the dashboard it keeps me telling log into WordPress first. I try many times to log in and changed the password, too. 

Please help.... Hope this will fix soon... 

Having the same problem here.  It's been going on for a few days. 

I'm having the same problem. I can log in, but when I try to edit and save a post, I get kicked out and told to log in again. Keeps happening over and over.

Currently on the phone with support--estimated wait time: 41 minutes. Not impressed. 😕

I managed to get on with chat and here is there solution they gave me.

login to your SFTP.
Go to the "wp-content" folder.
change the name of the "object-cache.php" file to "object-cache.php.bak" (so add the .bak onto the end of it)

G-daddy says, "that workaround is given by our admins and should work while we're working on a permanent fix."

NOTE: this is after checking for broken plugins, flushing the cache, etc. It seems to be working for me. Hope it helps everyone else who is in the chat que.

Update 2:

Apparently if you click on the GoDaddy icon at the top of the dashboard and select "Flush Cache", that may solve the logout problem.    This solved it for me.  Took forever waiting on the phone for tech support, but GoDaddy ended up being really helpful.

Update:

On the phone now.  They don't seem to know what the problem is and now I'm waiting for the advanced support person.

Original Message:

I've been waiting 30 minutes for a call back.  Not sure why I'm paying for a managed Wordpress site if they can't even manage it.

Thanks for the tip, cloudsurfer! I flushed the cache and that solved the perpetual login/logout problem for me.

Hopefully Support can get this resolved soon.

New

same problem!

Flushing cache and clearing browser helped on my work PC this morning. I come home to have the same problem but flushing and clearing doesn't work!

I disabled all plugins, updated everything and same problem!

Please assist this is frustrating

Same problem here. Maybe a plugin - woocommerce, learndash, uncanny?? who knows...

I'm having this same exact issue. I thought it was something I did or someone trying to hack me. I will call tomorrow. 

I have the same issue too!  Frustrating.

Flushing the cache didn't change the issue for me.

Having the same problem. Every few page transitions we're getting session expired and redirected to login.

Our site wordpress address and site address match. 

Still doesn't work for me. Never had issues yesterday, got home and all hell broke loose.

I have articles which I need to be posted... 

Yep, same thing. My URL's in general settings match. Went to try to deactivate a plug-in, keeps logging me out - preventing any tinkering with a bad plug-in.

Woke up this morning to this issue.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @papagiorgio200@LastMan@NonTechGuy@john_cooper@jmerschat@cagzkie@Adrian8

Sorry you're having trouble. If you have a Managed WordPress account, this is due to an issue our developers are working to address right now (sorry, no ETA at the moment). While they're working on it, there is a workaround that will prevent the automatic log out from happening. You would need to access your Managed WordPress account via SFTP and rename the /wp-content/object-cache.php file. (It doesn't really matter what you rename the file to, as long as it's not the name of another file in that directory.) For steps on accessing an account via SFTP, take a look at this article. I will try to post here again once the issue is resolved. Thanks for your patience.

Edit: This will workaround will also help users that see errors relating to APCu cache not being configured correctly.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I personally can lay off my site for a bit since it is a blog and not a business. However, is there a rough ETA?

New

I'm having the same issue. Since my site is a business this a problem. Please advise ETA ASAP. Thanks

Hey guys, this is the response I got via Twitter when chat was offline last night:

Hi! Very sorry for the difficulty you're having. What you've described is related to an issue affecting some Managed WordPress accounts. Our developers are aware of the issue and working to fix the issue as soon as possible. However, as a workaround, you can stop this issue from happening by accessing your WordPress files via SFTP and renaming the file object-cache.php. This article touches on how to connect to your account using SFTP godaddy.com/help/upload-fi. If you need further assistance with this, please reach out to our support team so they can help you get the file name updated. Sorry for any inconvenience. ^W

Helper IV Helper IV
Helper IV

We experienced this error so far on 1 production website. Curiously the staging version of this site did not have the problem. Just to be clear, I understand this has to do with the varnish caching system. After talking with a very helpful GD support staffer this morning, he deleted 2 files in the /wp-content directory and all appears to be fine about 1 hour later. Here's a picture of the 2 files that need to be deleted if you're having this problem. Clearing out cache and cookies and shutting down your browser is probably another set of safe bets to ensure there are no temporary files.

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Is there an article to get me to those files for a Word Press hosted site (Ultimate Plan)?

I appreciate the help, but for those of us who know the basics and not the directory modifications (and who are operating on a Mac), is there a lamen's terms set of directions for how to either fix or work around this issue?

My site is running normally as of now. Pass on the thanks.

New

APCu is not configured correctly.

I've called support twice about this issue which has completely crashed my site. When will I be getting back online?

New

Re: APCu is not configured correctly.

My site has been down from this for 2 days now

Also having this problem

It is happening again. Except I am getting 502 and 503 error codes - Error Code 

Any update? I've been having this problem the last 24-36 hours.

I will have to call and have someone walk me through the STP solution as I'm not savvy enough to find that folder on my own.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@dgrantsmith wrote:

I appreciate the help, but for those of us who know the basics and not the directory modifications (and who are operating on a Mac), is there a lamen's terms set of directions for how to either fix or work around this issue?

Hi @dgrantsmith - It should be pretty straight forward once you get your SFTP login credentials. All you need to do then is use a FTP/SFTP client that will let you modify the files. I think Cyberduck will do this. Once you log in, you should see several directories. Just go into the one labeled /wp-content and look for object-cache.php. Every client is a little different, but you should have the option to rename the file. That should help with the login issue. Here are a few screenshots of what it looks like in FileZilla:

SFTP1

SFTP2

@papagiorgio200 wrote:

It is happening again. Except I am getting 502 and 503 error codes - Error Code 

@papagiorgio200 - 502 and 503 errors would be a different issue altogether. There aren't currently any system wide issues that would cause this, so it is probably specific to your account. Please get in touch with our support team so they can take a look at your account specifically. 

@80smusicmom wrote:

Any update? I've been having this problem the last 24-36 hours.

I will have to call and have someone walk me through the STP solution as I'm not savvy enough to find that folder on my own.

@80smusicmom - Sorry you're having trouble. Take a look at the screenshots I posted above. They may help you. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

It's been a while since I've had to tinker with those folders (aka years). I'll just call as I'm not following, sorry. I still do not know how to get to the screen that shows those folders.

For more fun, I just got an email from Wordpress "We tried but were unable to update your site automatically." When I login, it says to notify site administrator.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to high heaven I don't get hacked while I try and figure out what's going on.

I just got this as well: "An automated WordPress update has failed to complete! Please notify the site administrator." I was getting those error codes when I would try to log in after I was continuously booted from being signed in.

I am able to sign in again, however.

I have restored the file back to a week ago. It seems fixed the log out problem.

Side issue is I was trying to restore earlier, however only 7 day, instead of 30 days standard backup is available to my files. This is the issue I will need to solve with godaddy.

OMG! This was so frustrating today! I am happy for the work around, but when the problem is fixed do i have to change the name of the file back to normal? Also do you think it'll be like a week or so?

OMG! This was so frustrating today! I am happy for the work around, but when the problem is fixed do i have to change the name of the file back to normal? Also do you think it'll be like a week or so?

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. All in all 3 hours on hold and 1 hour on with support and no resolution. I was told it was a problem with plugin compatibility. After disabling all of my plugins, flushing the server side cache and clearing my browser cache I still had the same issue. Before calling godaddy back I did a google search and to my surprise the first link that came up was to this thread.  Sad that the support person that I spoke to didn't have this information.

Thank you to everyone who posted information on this topic.

Regards, Denise

@JesseW Godaddy perhaps didn't test this well enough before rolling out the update? As the hot fix 4.7.1 (which a lot of folks received an email about) addresses the APC issues a lot of us have seen. See notes on the first bug fix on https://codex.wordpress.org/Version_4.7.1

All fingers and thumbs on this update gang, not terribly impressed. It seems that the PHP update, cacheing hardware and a WP update were all a bit much for the team to handle at once -- just judging from the top threads in this branch of the forum...

I am also having issues and cannot update my site.  I' would LOVE to try the fix, but even your dumbed down version is way over my head.  What is SFTP and where do i fix it? where specifically do I access those files?  I've never seen files like that working on my site on my mac.  Thanks!

@thecoldtexan wrote:

I am also having issues and cannot update my site.  I' would LOVE to try the fix, but even your dumbed down version is way over my head.  What is SFTP and where do i fix it? where specifically do I access those files?  I've never seen files like that working on my site on my mac.  Thanks!

Step 1: Download an FTP client software (Filezilla or something) and install it.

Step 2: Get your FTP login credentials from GoDaddy (you'll have to use those details to connect this downloaded software to your wordpress account in GoDaddy's world)

Step 3: Once you're logged into that software - you'll start all the stuff you're seeing in these screenshots. It's easily sailing after that.

Good to see that I'm not the only one with this issue.  Thanks for the help, I guess I'll take a crack at this when I'm at home on my personal laptop!