cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How do I backup my whole website?

Hi community.

I ain't no website developer. I am an artist and I am the owner of a website. I had a website developer who built my WordPress website but we had to part ways. Now I'm about to hire someone else but before I give him access I would like to learn how to back up of my coding, credentials, link URLs, etc so that if someone tries to be "a bad person" and destroyed my website I have backup to restore it without losing the work. I have this fear that for some reason that could happen so you never know.

I am good with dealing with settings in general, but I am not a website developer. My goal is to totally backup my website. I really appreciate if someone wrote the steps to do that myself and told me everything I need to know about that on how this is possible and at what extend.

I would really appreciate it. I hope you're having a great day.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: How do I backup my whole website?

Hey there @evmaintenance,

First, standard industry practice is to maintain 3 separate backups. You may think that's overkill, but I've seen circumstances where none of the backups were viable, so it is important.

1st Backup: Should be done locally. There are a lot of ways to do this, but this blog gives you some good paths to take.

2nd Backup: Store one on the cloud. Whether you use Google Drive, OneDrive, or some other cloud based storage, use your control panel (cPanel, Plesk, etc.) to automatically run a backup and store it there.

3rd Backup: Use a service like GoDaddy's Website Backup. The benefit to this is that it can be your primary backup and has an easy, one-click restore feature. There are others out there but this one perfectly meshes with GoDaddy hosting. 

Should anything go wrong, it's highly doubtful that all three backups will be destroyed. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi. Thanks so much. BUT your explanation is too generalized; I went to the CPanel myself only tog get confused. You are suggesting that as if I knew my way around the CPanel that well. That is a plugin, I don't even know how the web designer linked the CPanel with Wordpress. That is still too technical to me unless there's a detailed step by step explanation. I need a STEP BY STEP way to do this. If nobody wants to bother I understand.

New

As Mr. Vapor wrote, this is your best choice: Godaddy Website Protection.

It works, and the "essential" choice is as cheap as dirt for the peace-of-mind it give you.

Order it, find it in your Godaddy dashboard, and come back here for tips how to use it. I hope you never have to use it!

I have it as a feature of my Godaddy hosting and website development plan. I am an artist, like you, and I lost the technology race about 20 years ago. I can upload blog posts and product images. Anything more difficult is a Pro services job.

Any yes, your suspicions about unscrupulous guest developers are justified. It happened to me.