cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

File Manager Windows Host Hidden File Edit like .htaccess

I'm trying to view a wordpress website file that's in the same folder as index.php and I don't see it using File Manager.  The file is .htaccess.  I understand that is a hidden file and there should be an option to show hidden files in File Manager, but I don't see that option.  I think I may need to edit that file, so I would like to use File Manager to do that.  Maybe I need to use another app to see it.  Please let me know if I need to go that route.  I would much rather use File Manager.

17 REPLIES 17
Helper V

Re: File Manager Windows Host Hidden File Edit like .htaccess

Based on what I have learned from doing a Google search, there might not be a .htaccess file. You might need to create one.

New

There's a check box option in the popup window that is displayed between clicking the file manager link (under the opened-folder icon, under the :::FILES section of cPanel home page), between that and actually displaying file manager where you chose the folder in which file manager should open -- well in that popup window you can check the box to show hidden files, such as .htaccess.

i.e. you select to view hidden files as you enter file manager, not once you are in file manager.

SO if we missed that checkbox and are now in the file manager, how do we view .htaccess?

Go back to the previous screen. Click File Manager. When the pop up comes up, make sure and check the  box that says "Show  Hidden Files" as well as the directory you want to open up.

New

@trulygreat wrote:

Go back to the previous screen. Click File Manager. When the pop up comes up, make sure and check the  box that says "Show  Hidden Files" as well as the directory you want to open up.

You can't do that. Once that checkbox has been used (ie. the first time you enter file manager) it will never appear again. Unless, (or so I'm told) you 'reset your interface settings' in order to regain the option to see hidden files... but nobody seems to be clear on how you're supposed to 'reset your interface settings' either! Infuriating.

New

I had a similar issue. I was looking for the file .user.ini. There is no option in the file manager to "show hidden files".

By luck (or accident), I ended up clicking on the File Manger link in the cPanel navigation menu (top part of the screen - green menu option). THAT file manager shows me all my hidden files! If I click the File Manager link under the Files section of cPanel, I don't see the hidden files - weird.

You might want to give that a try and see if you get the same results I did. Good luck!

New

Go back to your CPANEL and in at the top in the green bar you will see a "Settings" menu.  Select that and then select "Reset Page Settings" and the pop up box will show up again.

New

Pop up box shows, "show hidden files" is checked, but there is no .htaccess file in the directory. I searched for files in the search box in the file manager as well, there is no such file; no results. Can I just create an htaccess file? If someone knows how, please let me know.

New

Thank you!!! 

@ghunt wrote:

Go back to your CPANEL and in at the top in the green bar you will see a "Settings" menu.  Select that and then select "Reset Page Settings" and the pop up box will show up again.

You can lose control over File Manager in that you no longer have any choices. You can click "File Manager" at the top of cPanel (where it says across the top Home   Addon Domains    File Manager    Email    Applications    Settings v    Help v). And you have no opportunity to configure.

Same with clicking "File Manager" in the Files section in the body of cPanel. Here too, File Manager can open without any opportunity to configure. 

Thus, you have lost control. HOWEVER, all IS NOT lost! There IS indeed hope:

Let's see...how do I get you to the right place in cPanel? Do this: When you first open cPanel, (for example in GoDaddy's "My Products", beside your web hosting entry, you click "Manage"), go to "Settings". This is "Settings" across the top where it says 

Home    Addon Domains    File Manager   Settings v    Help v

Click on Settings. Then click on Reset Page Settings.

It took me so long to find this. But it is right there. Settings >> Reset Page Settings.

NOW when you click on File Manager (not at the top, but rather in the Files section) File Manager gives you an opportunity to configure it. You can set the initial place to which File Manager opens. You can set the domain (if your hosting has more than one). And you can show hidden files or not. And you can also check a box to lose control over File Manager (if you want). The box to surrender your control is called "Always open this directory in the future when opening File Manager". Check this box, and you lose control--"forever!", including whether you will ever again see hidden files. 

Of course, as I explained above. All is not actually lost. Whenever you want to once again return to your esteemed position of admin control, you do "Settings >> Reset Page Settings" to get cPanel to return your full admin power to you.

So how to get from PLesk to a Cpanel in go daddy???

3fk
Former Employee

Hello @edith  ,

By default there's no such thing as hidden files if your the admin that has full perms on ftp.

cPanel has webroot public_html/ whatever you put there is as is.
If there's no file it means there's none. .htaccess can be created if you want to have it with certain features, same with .user.ini and php.ini. and can be easily be disabled by simply renaming it.

if classic hosting plan, same thing with unique features :
Webroot is "/"
https://uk.godaddy.com/help/managing-your-hosting-accounts-files-12426

I hope this help you guys,

Warm regards,

Joven. 🙂

Capture.PNG

Solution

Here's how I fixed my endless redirect.
1. I went into either cpanel OR your FTP client
2. renamed the top potential offending plugins ONE AT A TIME/retest/rename back to original name... i.e. woocommerce (no luck it shut down the entire site), SSL redirect, direct plugins.. finally i came to 'theme my login' plugin.
3. As soon as I renamed it, I managed to get into my wp-admin
4. I left it inactive, changed all my themed login/logout pages to woo/WP based ones (don't ask me why, but i used TML I think as part of my registration requiring email auth.. so i will have to find a solution for that still).

I hope that helps someone.

@ghunt wrote:

If we reset to a previous status our set up SSL certificate will not be affected ?

Thank you very much @J8

Thank you SO much! I've been trying to figure this out for daaayyys. Dumb that it doesn't work with the other link! Thank you again!