cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Changing Wordpress Permalinks & SEO with Yoast Premium

I have installed my wordpress site on the LINUX hosting with GoDaddy. It was prior on another host but I purchased this host last year because my other host was letting me down. I did a lot of work to move my site in a way I would not lose any of my SEO progress and stats. It has been great so far.

Recently I have realized I chose the stupidest permalink back in 2007. I use the month/name. I am now hopeful to refresh old posts (there are hundreds, many hundreds). Many of these are popular DIY posts that have been shared and posted thousands of times by other readers. If I refresh the date, which is a good practice to give old posts new life, the permalink changes to the new date. BIG PROBLEM -- all the stats are lost, all social shares lost, etc.

I have purchased Yoast Premium which gives a way to redirect. However it is not working for me.

I did it like this:

https://kb.yoast.com/kb/how-do-i-change-the-permalink-structure/

I changed to the /name permalink and used the TOOL listed to add to my .htaccess file.

Is it APACHE or NGINX?

I was given a code to add to my .htaccess:

RedirectMatch 301 ^/([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{2})/(?!page/)(.+)$ http://www.miseducated.net/$3

When I did these changes I load my blog articles and get this error:

Safari Can't Open This Page

Too many redirects occurred trying to open "my domain.com/postname." This might occur if you open a page that is redirected to open another page which is then redirected to open the original page.

Yoast Premium said:

Some host providers may have unique rules in their server which may result in unexpected behavior.

To resolve the issue we suggest contacting your host provider. They can help with issues related to rules in the server. We also suggest a backup is available before editing or adding code on your site.

1 REPLY 1
Resolver I
Solution

Re: Changing Wordpress Permalinks & SEO with Yoast Premium

Hi,

IMHO you should definitely do a general redirect through htaccess and not through Yoast SEO.

You may have a typo in your htaccess redirection.

I would suggest dropping any redirection you have on Yoast and use this tool to generate a correct htaccess redirection code.

I hope this helps!

Good luck