cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

404 error on all my pages

Hi there, I am getting error messages whenever I click links on my managed wordpress site. I've checked the linnks and they are all correct. I've tried clicking the links from my own account and also from another web browser that doesn't have my account logged in and no luck. Even if you click my blog post link I get the 404 error message. My domain is www.foodforsecondthought.com if anyone has any ideas.

8 REPLIES 8
Helper V
Helper V
Solution

Re: 404 error on all my pages

most likely the issue is with Permalink SettingsIf you are using anything other than "Plain and are missing the .htaccess code then you will get 404 errors.

to fix add the following to your ".htaccess" file located in the document root of your wordpress site. 

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Thank you God for this Code!!! Been trying forever to get this right

WHAT AND WHERE is the document root? I have persistent 404...

New

I have the same problem and I don't see any way to access my root directory. i'm using page builder (WordPress integrated with GoDaddy.)
Capture.JPG

New

help. Im having the same issue. i am a newbie and thought i could add wordpress as a blog within my site. I now would like to revert to my original site. all my files are there. They just show the 404 error. please

I already have that file but same error https://www.cosershub.org/wp-admin

I am having 404 error on my web page. So I couldn't manage my cpanel hosting and my website is not live yet.

What can I do now? My site is: www.victorakinwande.net

Solution

Use an FTP tool to access your hosted wordpress files. I recommend FileZilla. You can find your FTP user name, password, port # and domain name on your Go Daddy manage wordpress page. 

Once you are connected on FileZilla (or any other FTP tool of your choice) --> Go to .htaccess and download that on your computer. Use notepad (or any other code editor or your choice) and add (don't replace existing code but rather add to it) the code solution provided by @oslinux (also pasting here for convenience)

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

To be real safe, don't delete existing .htaccess file. Rename it to something like .htaccess.brokenlink. Now go ahead and upload updated .htaccess file. Clear browser cache (if needed) and access your site. That should fix the issue.