Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my wildcard record is not working?

I created wildcard record few months ago. "*.st.sodonsolution.org", At this time it was working.
for example:

nslookup a.st.sodonsolution.org
nslookup a.portal3.st.sodonsolution.org
nslookup portal4.st.sodonsolution.org
nslookup a.portal4.st.sodonsolution.org

Now some of domain lookup requests failing. Why it is happening here? 

7 REPLIES 7
PL281
Super User IV

@sodonsolution 

When I first tested this I was seeing the same thing - then it just started working - very odd - I was able to get to your test page

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Still not working. Double checked with official DNS. 

nslookup a.portal4.st.sodonsolution.org - ns58.domaincontrol.com
nslookup b.portal4.st.sodonsolution.org - ns58.domaincontrol.com
dig b.portal4.st.sodonsolution.org @ns57.domaincontrol.com

Can you tell me what is wrong with my record? 
It seems something happening in godaddy DNS servers.

@sodonsolution 

I just try a.portal5.st.sodonsolution.org

huh.st.sodonsolution.org

and a couple of others and they worked just fine - I just typed them into the browser I didn't try to do a lookup on them

I don't know if doing the lookup is somehow blocking them from being used.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Previously we used to use *.staging.sodonsolution.org but stopped working for unknown reason. And we changed it to *.st.sodonsolution.org. Stopped working again. We can't change every time godaddy blocks our domain records. We need to know what is reason.

@sodonsolution 

I've never had this issue before and I use wild card on a number of site - granted I don't do it off a subdomain - I have *.domain.com vs *.something.domain.com but that shouldn't matter

I am assuming in the GoDaddy DNS for host you have *.st as the name and points to the IP address

What's also odd - is that portal4 seems to be having an issue / not responding but 1-9 otherwise were working just fine / as expected

Here is screenshot of DNS record. I think every sub domain of st.sodonsolution.org should work. Is is correct?

Screenshot from 2020-11-20 15-39-54.png

And here is screenshot that nslookup has invalid answer.
Screenshot from 2020-11-20 15-42-25.png
I assuming godaddy DNS malfunctioning or someone at godaddy is trolling me. 

@sodonsolution 

Yes that is correct - there is something with the portal4 entry

https://dnschecker.org/#A/a.portal4.st.sodonsolution.org - You see nothing is found 

https://dnschecker.org/#A/a.portal3.st.sodonsolution.org - Works fine

All the other records are fine - it is something specific with portal4 - which is really odd

You only pasted the one DNS record - I'm assuming you don't have a specific record for portal4 

https://dnschecker.org/#A/portal4.a.st.sodonsolution.org - this also works.... so it is something specifically with *.portal4.st.sodonsolutions.org