cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Sip dns ssl certification

Hello

I hope someone out there can help me figure out how to upload my own ssl certificate to godaddy. I am in the process of setting up a phone system. In this process I got my Self a SBC, following the instructions for setting up a sip connections I was told to create a ssl certificate. To create dns over tls secure connection, or was it DNS over HTTPS, either way
The certificate is created but I can’t for the world of me figure out how to upload the certificate, logging in to my account at godaddy and going to certificate all it says is no certificates, no buttons to upload or anything. Can anybody tell me how to do this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Newbeg 

Thanks for the information - if you are using Google Voice than Google is providing any needed certificates. I could see where you would need your own SSL Certificate if you had your own SIP server / setup inside an office.

My suggestion is to post this question on a SIP / VOIP forum. The only thing you would do here at GoDaddy is perhaps purchase an SSL certificate if you need one, but I really don't think you do.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@Newbeg 

Something about your question seems to be a mix of things.

1) I've never heard of a SIP phone system needing an SSL certificate - generally sip systems are IP address driven and if there is an SSL it would be from your provider

2) did you purchase a certificate - where did you get it from??

3) Do you have a server as that is where the SSL certificate would be installed

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi, thank you for your fast response, its very possible that I am mixing things up I might of taken water over my head on this project, just starting out with SBC stuff,

But my philosophy is if you start something you want to see that you finish it.

1) This is what the SBC has to say about sip phone system and ssl certificate, If that could help clarifying what I am trying to do, and how the domain provider might be involved .

" Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure RTP (SRTP) are encryption of the SIP Protocol and Audio Media stream respectively TLS is a Peer to Peer transport – using TCP, where the peers use a handshake with an encryption key (CA Certificate) and an asymmetric cipher to establish not only cipher settings but also a session specific shared key with which further communication is encrypted using a symmetric cipher. TLS typically relies on a set of trusted third-party certificate authorities to establish the authenticity of CA Certificates."

Since I don't have a sip provider just using freepbx (a Asterisk pbx software) and obi200 phone thing connected to google voice,

It might seem over doing it with certificates and stuff but, as I read about phone systems it is apparently very common that they are hacked and that means that down the road I am paying for somebody else phone calls.

If it helps here are the step by step instructions 

Request Certificate

• From the SBC Web GUI, navigate to Settings > Security > SBC Certificates
  • Click Generate CSR
  • Fill in the required fields
  • Copy the Resultant CSR to your clipboard, and use to request a certificate from your domain provider
  • Make sure to also obtain Trusted Root and Intermediary certificates from your public certification authority, as these will need to be imported to the SBC also.

2)  I have not purchased a certificate I have actually two different certificates, as I am trying out several SBC, one was generated by the SBC (AnyNode SBC) the other that was created using freeSBC was created by openssl in linux. I was hoping I could use one off these services as I am a poor humble student and doing this just for educational purposes and fun.

3) see this is where I get confused because it seems that it is supposed to be uploaded to my SBC which is sitting on Amazon AWS server. So what function godaddy has I am not sure, if Godaddy is just there to say that yes he has a domain with us with these dns servers..

I don't know if this make any since at all??

But any thoughts on how to go about this would be appreciated all the sites I have search through talk about these certificates as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. So no more extra info that I could find. Could maybe be because I am using trial versions. The SBC's that I been working with are Sangoma SBC, FreeSBC and Anynode SBC if that would help you any. 

Also Microsoft Teams uses the same system with certifications of there sip connections GoDaddy is set up as one of there approved  domain provider to verify the certificate. Not sure then if you upload the certificate to Microsoft instead of my Amazon aws SBC, Not sure if that helps you or anyone to think of a solution. 

Any sorry for the lengthy answer hope you have some thoughts, grateful for what ever tips you have, so I can move along.

Thank you

@Newbeg 

Thanks for the information - if you are using Google Voice than Google is providing any needed certificates. I could see where you would need your own SSL Certificate if you had your own SIP server / setup inside an office.

My suggestion is to post this question on a SIP / VOIP forum. The only thing you would do here at GoDaddy is perhaps purchase an SSL certificate if you need one, but I really don't think you do.

View solution in original post

tack you for your help I'll do that

stay safe and have a good day