cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

SSL Basic Questions - Certificate

I want to add SSL to my test site which isn't the name of the production domain.

Can I get an ssl now and change the domain later? 

Can I also get an SSL without giving my home address since I don't have a business address? Is that possible?  

Do I need to get it from godaddy versus else where?  It seems expensive.

Also which type of certificate do I need to get?  I won't do any selling, maybe later. 

What are the steps to getting an SSL and is it hard to implement?

Also can I turn the SSL off and on during testing? 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: SSL Basic Questions - Certificate

Hello @mits. I actually just got a similar question at group meeting last night. What I typically advise is the purchase of a Protect multiple websites plan. It does cost more yearly but you can protect up to five domains for that investment. You can get free or lower cost SSL certificates but that cover is your own. 

As far as what address to list please list a proper physical address. If your home address is the address you list for your business then you should use your home address. I know that can be a bit intimidating and invasive but if your home address is your registered business address then it is already publicly available. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

New

Appreciate it!

Question.

I want to add the SSL to my test site.

Will I have issues changing the domain name later and address?  Or better to wait?

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

You are free to issue and reissue SSL certificates fairly effortlessly @mits but it is a bit of a hassle. Note that your website will be not have a SSL while changes are pending.

In a situation where you need multiple protected directories I advise either a Wildcard SSL, putting your test website on test.yourdomain.com or a Protect multiple website SSL and protect multiple domains. Best for you depends on of you have one domain or multiple domains. Does that clear things up? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head