cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Adding SSL Cert for a secondary domain

I have the "Deluxe Linux Hosting with cPanel" with GoDaddy which has several domains associated with it. I have purchased "Standard SSL Certificate" also with GoDaddy.

I have been trying to install the SSL cert for a secondary domain. However, it seems to only install it for the main domain associated with the hosting account. I have followed these instructions https://uk.godaddy.com/help/manually-install-an-ssl-certificate-on-my-cpanel-hosting-12027 to install it manually and it still only works for the main domain.

How do I install a SSL cert for a secondary domain?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to figure out what the problem was. GoDaddy's documentation on how to setup SSL is not very clear on the exact steps. If you follow them and upload the certificate (the .crt file) it will automatically associate it with the primary domain in the hosting account and there is no way to change it. You'd have to delete everything and start all over again.

However, if you open the .crt file in a text editor, copy the contents and PASTE it as text (as supposed to uploading the file) then it will allow you to associate the SSL with any secondary domain of your choosing.

Took few hours to figure out this little nuance of a step. And now the SSL works as I need it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@Musette 

Unless you've purchased a wild card certificate or a UTC (I believe it is called) which supports multiple domains you need to have a unique certificate for each domain. There are free SSLs which must be manually renewed every 90 days from Let's Encrypt  - You can google for the links to generate the certificate and then upload it via the "Certificates" section in cPanel and then "link" / install the certificate.

The first step is uploading the file, the 2nd is telling the server to use it.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I am not trying to install the SSL for multiple domains. I do know that the SSL I have purchased is for one domain and I am trying to install it on only one domain. The issue here is that it's getting installed for the WRONG domain every time.

@Musette 

Can you send a screen capture of the SSL configuration from cPanel

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I was able to figure out what the problem was. GoDaddy's documentation on how to setup SSL is not very clear on the exact steps. If you follow them and upload the certificate (the .crt file) it will automatically associate it with the primary domain in the hosting account and there is no way to change it. You'd have to delete everything and start all over again.

However, if you open the .crt file in a text editor, copy the contents and PASTE it as text (as supposed to uploading the file) then it will allow you to associate the SSL with any secondary domain of your choosing.

Took few hours to figure out this little nuance of a step. And now the SSL works as I need it.

View solution in original post

Community Manager

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing what you did to get your SSL cert to work! Take care and please stop by occasionally in the community and let us know how you're doing.

Rachel

RachelM - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.