cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Want to create a backup of my sqlserver db (shared), then retrieve the backup and do a restore

Basically I want to create a backup of my sqlserver db (shared), then retrieve the backup and do a restore on my local machine to ensure all is well.

So I created a backup of my sqlserver db using SSMS on my machine, connected to my godaddy db.  It says it was successful, but the path it places the backup in looks like it's actually on the server the original db is located.  If this is true, then what if the entire server 'breaks'?  Then the backups are lost.   I talked to shared support and they told me the location was definitely on the db server itself.  

Then I used SSMS and did a backup there, and once again it says it was successful but to a directory somewhere on godaddy that I cannot access. 

Any thoughts?

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: DB backup location

Hi @nmah2. How you would back up your database depends on the type of hosting you have. Both should give you the option to download the backup file. Since it sounds like you're working with MSSQL specifically, I'll only list the Windows plans we have. 

Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.