cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Using Gmail for GoDaddy Domains

None of the existing similar topics have the information I need. This info should be in a help file somewhere. 

I want to use gmail to send/receive from myemail@domainwithgodaddy.com and I need the settings to do so.

This information did not work:

Incoming settings: Server name:
outlook.office365.com (POP/IMAP)
Port:
POP: 995 with SSL selected
IMAP: 993 with SSL selected

Encryption method:
TLS (POP/IMAP)
You at 13:55, Oct 9:

Outgoing settings: Server name:
smtp.office365.com
Port:
Encryption method:
STARTTLS

Your username should be your email address.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@nosnivel 

This question has come up a couple of times - the short answer is you cannot do this. It's an issue between Microsoft and Google.

Below is a reply I posted just last week to someone with this same question - 

I am an end user like you - Based on the post from the Microsoft board - this is an issue between Microsoft and Google - and not one that GoDaddy can specifically do anything about.

I believe that the reason the previous threads have been marked resolved is because there is no further solution.

I know that many providers are going to web based authentication - this is where to add an account to an email client / device, you have to login via a web browser and your device / application gets a token to log in. This is being done to help prevent spam / hijacking of accounts.

From a tech perspective, I would not recommend / advise someone using Office 365 to try to send via a 3rd party system (even via SMTP) - Office has a number of things built into it (tracking / recall email / events) that are part of the Exchange server functionality that when using SMTP get bypassed / not available.

I know this may not be the answer you want, but I believe it is the only answer at this time.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

New

There is in fact a work-around for this, that depends on 2 things: an admin account, and being Ok with changing a security setting. The latter is obviously something you want to do your homework on - making this change is at your own risk.

That said - Active Directory makes use of security defaults, which can be turned off, see here for details https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/concept-fundamentals-security-d...

and here for the settings https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/ActiveDirectoryMenuBlade/Properties

Disabling the security defaults opens up POP authentication, as it is seen as a legacy authentication protocol.

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV

@nosnivel 

This question has come up a couple of times - the short answer is you cannot do this. It's an issue between Microsoft and Google.

Below is a reply I posted just last week to someone with this same question - 

I am an end user like you - Based on the post from the Microsoft board - this is an issue between Microsoft and Google - and not one that GoDaddy can specifically do anything about.

I believe that the reason the previous threads have been marked resolved is because there is no further solution.

I know that many providers are going to web based authentication - this is where to add an account to an email client / device, you have to login via a web browser and your device / application gets a token to log in. This is being done to help prevent spam / hijacking of accounts.

From a tech perspective, I would not recommend / advise someone using Office 365 to try to send via a 3rd party system (even via SMTP) - Office has a number of things built into it (tracking / recall email / events) that are part of the Exchange server functionality that when using SMTP get bypassed / not available.

I know this may not be the answer you want, but I believe it is the only answer at this time.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thank you. I very much appreciate the response. I may move my email to a
different provider.
New

There is in fact a work-around for this, that depends on 2 things: an admin account, and being Ok with changing a security setting. The latter is obviously something you want to do your homework on - making this change is at your own risk.

That said - Active Directory makes use of security defaults, which can be turned off, see here for details https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/concept-fundamentals-security-d...

and here for the settings https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/ActiveDirectoryMenuBlade/Properties

Disabling the security defaults opens up POP authentication, as it is seen as a legacy authentication protocol.

Oh - and I've had success with SMTP by using smtpout.secureserver.net on port 465 instead

@lcolco 

Thanks for jumping in and providing those additional details - Office 365 from GoDaddy has some restrictions / limitations based on how it is deployed / configured to integrate within the GoDaddy management system. 

I'm not sure if GoDaddy Office 365 customers would have access to get to that level of security

I am a GoDaddy customer and have completed these exact steps, fwiw.