cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from unauthorized email on my account

Hi

I received an odd email this morning from an unauthorized email from something that appeared to be an email on my account.  

It states its from canon@mydomainname.com.  I have no canon on my domain name.  In fact there is only one authorized email address and that is mine.  What should I do?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Rockstar II
Rockstar II

Re: Email from unauthorized email on my account

@MaureenB wrote:

Hi

I received an odd email this morning from an unauthorized email from something that appeared to be an email on my account.  

It states its from canon@mydomainname.com.  I have no canon on my domain name.  In fact there is only one authorized email address and that is mine.  What should I do?

Thank you

@MaureenB Maureen, can you clarify, you received the email to your email address and the email appeared to be sent from an email that doesn't exist on your domain?

---

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I

Yes, Justin, Taht's exactly it.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @MaureenB,

This is a common "spoofing" tactic where a spam marketer creates what appears to be an email from your domain name.  Most likely, that's the source. If you check the email headers, you'll probably find that the actually sending address is some domain you've probably never heard of. 

There's not a whole lot you can do about this.  Most, not all, of the time the spoof is constructed so that you see your domain name coming in.  Its a bit more difficult for someone to actually use your domain/address to send mail to others unless there is an actual email account that you've created.

You can cut down on some of this by using private registration for your domain and adding sitelock.  I use both.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

I received a similar email Friday 12/2/2016. It states its from canon@mydomainname.com.  I have no canon on my domain name either.

In fact there is only one authorized email address and that is mine also.

What should I do?

Did you get any more information then the reply below?

Thanks, Andy

I have the same issue.  It appears several people are successfully using my domain name as their email.  Mike@_____.com, Sally@_____.com, etc.

none of them are actual email addresses.

I own ______.com and want to block them from using my trademarked name in their email address.  There should be a way to block this and make sure they never receive messages.

New

Unauthorized alias

Alias name j@arp was added to b@arp.  j@arp was an employee who is no longer with us so we wanted her emails to be forwarded to b@arp. Since then we have removed this alias. But now anytime b@arp sends an email or receives an email, it still shows in j@arp inbox. How do I stop this from happening?