Help Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
LARSO
New

Is there value to a company to buy a domain with a similar name?

I'm a rookie domainer.  If I were trying to sell a domain name to someone who already has a website, what good would another name benefit them? For example, let's say I have a domain

"delcodoctor.com" and market it for sale to someone who has a site with their real name like

"doctorsmith.com". (delco is the short for the county I live in Delaware County in Pennsylvania).  If they added delcodoctor.com to their website would that benefit them because google searchers would be looking for "delco doctors" or would it be useless unless the Keyword search is "delcodoctors.com" which is an unlikely search term> 

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ablake
Community Manager

Hi @LARSO, welcome to the community!

I'm glad you came here to ask that question. I'm not a domainer myself, but I've been working in this industry for quite a while. According to my knowledge, the domain isn't going to be much help to the business owner in your proposed scenario. 

We have some domainers here in the community, so hopefully someone will chime in with expert knowledge. But in the mean time, here are some good resources for domain selling strategy:

And I've also seem some people take the unique approach of selling domains as a brand marketplace (not pure domaining, but it's interesting and probably a better value prop in today's market):

Those are just some thoughts to help you get started. Good luck on your journey as a rookie domainer! Don't forget to keep us updated on how it's going or post more questions here.

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Nate
Super User II

What you've described is more of an alias or add-on domain.  Simply redirecting a domain isn't going to help with SEO unless that domain has already been evaluated favorably by the search engines, then their systems would analyze how the new website relates to the domain and determine how much of the "link juice" should spill over.

If a company ended up with a bad domain (long, hard to remember, non-descriptive) they may be willing to swap it out for something catchy.  And some companies actually build out multiple websites tailored to different customer bases and marketing strategies.

2 REPLIES 2
ablake
Community Manager

Hi @LARSO, welcome to the community!

I'm glad you came here to ask that question. I'm not a domainer myself, but I've been working in this industry for quite a while. According to my knowledge, the domain isn't going to be much help to the business owner in your proposed scenario. 

We have some domainers here in the community, so hopefully someone will chime in with expert knowledge. But in the mean time, here are some good resources for domain selling strategy:

And I've also seem some people take the unique approach of selling domains as a brand marketplace (not pure domaining, but it's interesting and probably a better value prop in today's market):

Those are just some thoughts to help you get started. Good luck on your journey as a rookie domainer! Don't forget to keep us updated on how it's going or post more questions here.

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Nate
Super User II

What you've described is more of an alias or add-on domain.  Simply redirecting a domain isn't going to help with SEO unless that domain has already been evaluated favorably by the search engines, then their systems would analyze how the new website relates to the domain and determine how much of the "link juice" should spill over.

If a company ended up with a bad domain (long, hard to remember, non-descriptive) they may be willing to swap it out for something catchy.  And some companies actually build out multiple websites tailored to different customer bases and marketing strategies.