Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Thor-J
New

Custom domain not connecting to google sites.

So I recently bought a domain to connect to my website on Google Sites, however, after verifying that I own the domain through Google Webmasters, when I add the custom URL to my google site it doesn't connect. When I go to my domain, (vikingbot.xyz) it either doesn't load or it says web page not found. So I go to check on Sites under the custom URL settings it says Invalid DNS

Clicking on the learn more shows this page, which says to add a DNS CNAME record with the host name "www" and the link to "ghs.googlehosted.com", which I've done, but it still says Invalid DNS when I check on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Thor-J,

At first glance, your CName for "www" is reversed. The HOST NAME should be WWW; the "points to" or VALUE should be "ghs.googlehosted.com" (no quotes).

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TLH

Hi @Thor-J,

Welcome to the Community!

An external review of your domain's DNS shows the absence of any A records required to direct to a Google website. You can use the instructions below to complete the setup on the domain.

Go to your GoDaddy Domain Manager and access that domain's DNS.

1. Create 4 A Records - all have a "Host" name of "@" (no quotes) and "points to" the following:

1. Create a new CNAME entry. Enter the HOST name "www", and the POINTS TO as "ghs.googlehosted.com" (no quotes on either). This will point your URL to your Google site. (Sounds like you've already done this.)

Create a forwarding command below the DNS listings in this GoDaddy account

1. Forward your domain to itself. For example, yourdomain.com should be forwarded to http://yourdomain.com. (Do not choose masking for this forward.) This should create a forwarding IP address in the A record of the DNS.

Complete the setup at Google using the following as a guide.

Thanks for the tip but I am still getting the Invalid DNS error from Google. Here's a picture of my current DNS logs

unknown

I also set this redirect, which seemed to work at first, but then it stopped and just went to "Website connection timed out" on an error page.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 12.52.49.png

Please help I don't know what's wrong

Hi @Thor-J,

At first glance, your CName for "www" is reversed. The HOST NAME should be WWW; the "points to" or VALUE should be "ghs.googlehosted.com" (no quotes).

View solution in original post