cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper V

In GD store, need ability to restrict / limit states in products can be sold and/or shipped

I need the ability to restrict or limit the sale of merch. or services to certain states in the US. We have it at the country level (I believe) but need it at the state level. I have spoken with other store owners who need it also. Rather than make a sale and have to issue refunds (which PayPal looks at and wonders why this is happening all the time), this option is much needed. No one wants to get a bad rap for refunding an order to someone who thought they made a purchase. Preventing the order is key.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hey @Hopeful. You can limit shipping to selected states in the US, but it would apply to all products where you use the "Calculate for me using my shipping methods" option in the product. However, there isn't an option limit shipping on certain products beyond that. I will pass your suggestion on to our product team. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Hey @Hopeful. You can limit shipping to selected states in the US, but it would apply to all products where you use the "Calculate for me using my shipping methods" option in the product. However, there isn't an option limit shipping on certain products beyond that. I will pass your suggestion on to our product team. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

@JesseWThanks so much for this! I recall having this feature now. Totally forgot we did and that I had set it up to the extent it would let me! Duh. For others needing it, is can be found in the shipping set up. Under each shipping type you set up, you can set up your delivery options by state.

I would like to point out, however, that I don't believe this addresses the "sold to" issue. I believe this only stops people from shipping to certain states, not from buying from a certain state, and that is what I need most. Can you clarify that for me? Thanks!

Community Manager

Hey @Hopeful. Glad you found the information useful. This would prevent the sale of any items that need to be shipped to a specific state. For example, I set up a test store and set up a shipping option to include all states accept Arizona. When I tried to check out with Arizona as the state, an error appears that shipping can not be calculated. Probably not an ideal customer experience but it would prevent the sale. Hope that helps. 

So this would prevent a person in Nevada buying an item and shipping to Arizona? Not just you as a buyer in Arizona shipping to Arizona?

Community Manager

@Hopeful For what I tested, the restriction takes effect on the checkout page with in shipping address section. So regardless of where someone lives, if they tried to ship to a state that was not available in your shipping setup, they would not be able to. I hope that clarifies things. 

Thanks very much. I look forward to seeing this work.

Community Manager

For sure @Hopeful. Just to be super clear (I'd hate to get your hopes up for nothing), this method only works if you only have one shipping method to choose from, the one that has the state removed. If you have multiple shipping methods set up for your store, there will be more choices for the customer and you may not be able to prevent a sale. I was not able to test this with the UPS and USPS options, only the shipping options for weight and flat pricing. Hope that makes sense. 

EDIT - It's more accurate to say that you can have multiple shipping options, but all of them have to have the same restriction on what states you will/will not ship to. You should be able to set this on free, weight based, and flat rate shipping.