Hello forum, I have been with Godaddy for some time but this is my first time posting.
I run a few websites and build them for a living, but my own web business has me stuffed.
My online store www.weshouldchalk.com is always at a snail speed no matter what I do.
Steps I have undertaken to speed it up:
- I have W3 Total Cache installed and running and have used a guide to set up the options.
- I have ensured every picture I use on the website is well under 1mb
- I am on shared hosting economy level 3 (the highest economy one)
- I have WPML with one other language aside from English installed on the site (possible issue for speed?)
- I had 800 visitors yesterday and it crashed under those statistics.
I am not too sure what else to do to fix this?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Very cool site and products -- what fun! When you have WordPress on a shared environment you are at the mercy of the resources that everyone on that server is "sharing". Your site certainly should not be crashing because you had 800 visitors in a day.
I ran a quick speed test and it really isn't all that bad. The issues can all be addressed easily -- images are the main culprit -- which is pretty common across all sites I test/work on. Even though images are under 1mb, a bunch of images hundreds of thousands of K in size each can add up fast. The other issues can be tackled with a plugin or two.
I have read that WPML can slow a site dramatically if not setup properly. Did you try without to see if there is a difference? Maybe interrogating support on WPML.org can help you verify settings and find a solution from the very extensive collection of threads on the topic of slow sites.
Thank you so much for your help and recommendations. I was thinking the WPML plugin would be the problem as I have a few other sites on a much less powered host with Godaddy and they run fine on 1000 visitors / day.