cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Not applicable

Lost my 10 years old Domain. What to do? Where i go?

Hello everyone, 

I am new here and I have an issue and I don't know what to do or where to go..

On july 22nd 2010 almost 10 years ago I choose Arvixe as hosting  server and back then they offered a free domain including with the hosting package .

I took it an I created my own domain and I kept on renewing my package evry year.  This year I had a problems with my credit card and I renew it on September 12th 2020. However,  after the renewal I found out that my free domain is not working. I was informed by Arvixe that my domain it was Auctioned to Godaddy.  I checked with Godaddy for the availability for my domain it pops up to me add with a broker telling me that my domain is not available but he can get it for me for £1115 + %20 commission. 

End if the story I was sold out by my hosting server Arvixe to Godaddy  and now I am blackmailed by Godaddy.  This domain is worth noting to anyone but me. What should I do? Where should I go? To whom I might complain. 

The domain name is saritamedical.com

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @EhabElmalah,

Welcome to the Community.

GoDaddy does not now, and has never owned your domain. However, after it was allowed to expire at the previous registrar, a customer with a GoDaddy account registered it to their name in late August. (You can see this in the public whois registry data here.) That new owner may have listed it for sale on GoDaddy as a Premium domain, setting a price at their discretion. 

A search for the domain shows that you would need to purchase it from that party, or wait until it expires next year and see if it gets renewed. You can either contact that party directly, or purchase the Domain Broker Service that is offered when you search for the domain on the GoDaddy website. They can try and negotiate for the sale of the domain for you. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II

@EhabElmalah 

I always hate hearing stories like this.... Maybe what you've experienced can be a warning to others before it happens to them.

Sadly, this is what happens when we don't keep our payment information up to date with valid payment details.  That is why, each year as part of my New Year message to my clients, I remind them to login to their domain account and double-check that all their information is up to date.  Payment info, email address -- all of it.

Not having current payment information is one of the primary reasons domain ownership is forfeited.   The second is not having an accurate email address in your account to make sure that you receive the expiration notices that are automatically sent numerous times before a domain expires.

From what you describe the situation played out as it normally does.  No payment information to maintain ownership and when the domain could not be renewed/paid for the domain became publicly available.  When that happens there are speculators/brokers who buy domains and resell or auction them off.

At this point your options are to purchase your domain back or find a new one that can work for you.   Then, moving forward, mark you calendar to check your account(s) on a regular basis to make sure everything is up to date so that you never have to experience this again.  😉

Judith
"Actually, you can." ~ Anon

Hi @EhabElmalah,

Welcome to the Community.

GoDaddy does not now, and has never owned your domain. However, after it was allowed to expire at the previous registrar, a customer with a GoDaddy account registered it to their name in late August. (You can see this in the public whois registry data here.) That new owner may have listed it for sale on GoDaddy as a Premium domain, setting a price at their discretion. 

A search for the domain shows that you would need to purchase it from that party, or wait until it expires next year and see if it gets renewed. You can either contact that party directly, or purchase the Domain Broker Service that is offered when you search for the domain on the GoDaddy website. They can try and negotiate for the sale of the domain for you. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post